Notes to the CHAPTER 96
MISCELLANEOUS MANUFACTURED ARTICLES
- 1. This chapter does not cover:
- (a) pencils for cosmetic or toilet uses (Chapter 33);
- (b) articles of Chapter 66 (for example, parts of umbrellas or walking sticks);
- (c) imitation jewellery (heading 7117);
- (d) parts of general use, as defined in note 2 to Section XV, of base metal (Section XV), or similar goods of plastics (Chapter 39);
- (e) cutlery or other articles of Chapter 82 with handles or other parts of carving or moulding materials; heading 9601 or 9602 applies, however, to separately presented handles or other parts of such articles;
- (f) articles of Chapter 90 (for example, spectacle frames (heading 9003), mathematical drawing pens (heading 9017), brushes of a kind specialised for use in dentistry or for medical, surgical or veterinary purposes (heading 9018));
- (g) articles of Chapter 91 (for example, clock or watch cases);
- (h) musical instruments or parts or accessories thereof (Chapter 92);
- (ij) articles of Chapter 93 (arms and parts thereof);
- (k) articles of Chapter 94 (for example, furniture, luminaires and lighting fittings);
- (l) articles of Chapter 95 (toys, games, sports requisites); or
- (m) works of art, collectors' pieces or antiques (Chapter 97).
- 2. In heading 9602, the expression "vegetable or mineral carving material" means:
- (a) hard seeds, pips, hulls and nuts and similar vegetable materials of a kind used for carving (for example, corozo and dom);
- (b) amber, meerschaum, agglomerated amber and agglomerated meerschaum, jet and mineral substitutes for jet.
- 3. In heading 9603, the expression "prepared knots and tufts for broom or brush making" applies only to unmounted knots and tufts of animal hair, vegetable fibre or other material, which are ready for incorporation without division in brooms or brushes, or which require only such further minor processes as trimming to shape at the top, to render them ready for such incorporation.
- 4. Articles of this chapter, other than those of headings 9601 to 9606 or 9615, remain classified in the chapter whether or not composed wholly or partly of precious metal or metal clad with precious metal, of natural or cultured pearls, or precious or semi-precious stones (natural, synthetic or reconstructed). However, headings 9601 to 9606 and 9615 include articles in which natural or cultured pearls, precious or semi-precious stones (natural, synthetic or reconstructed), precious metal or metal clad with precious metal constitute only minor constituents.
- 1. Subheadings 96190071 to 96190089 include goods of paper pulp, paper, cellulose wadding or webs of cellulose fibres. Those subheadings also include composite goods consisting of the following:
- (a) an inner layer (for example, of nonwovens), designed to wick fluid away from the wearer's skin and thereby prevent chafing;
- (b) an absorbent core, for collecting and storing the fluid until the product can be disposed of; and
- (c) an outer layer (for example, of plastics), to prevent leakage of the fluid from the absorbent core.