Definition: List of characteristic agricultural activities of the EAA
For national accounts purposes the agricultural industry is defined as all units performing, either solely or together with other secondary economic activities, activities which come under Division 01 of NACE Rev.1 "Agriculture, hunting and related service activities". Division 01 comprises ( ):
· Group 01.1: Growing of crops; market gardening; horticulture;
· Group 01.2: Farming of animals;
· Group 01.3: Growing of crops combined with farming of animals (mixed farming);
· Group 01.4: Agricultural and animal husbandry service activities, except veterinary activities;
· Group 01.5: Hunting, trapping and game propagation, including related service activities.
The list of characteristic agricultural activities of the EAA corresponds to these five groups of activities (01.1 to 01.5), but with the following differences:
· inclusion of the production of wine and olive oil (exclusively using grapes and olives grown by the same holding), the growing of vegetable materials used for plaiting, Christmas trees, fruit trees, vines and ornamental nursery trees (which come under Division 02, Forestry);
· exclusion of the activities relating to the production of seeds upstream and downstream of multiplication and certain activities which, in NACE Rev.1, are considered as agricultural services (i.e. the operation of irrigation systems, the design, planting and maintenance of gardens, parks and green areas for sports facilities and the like, tree pruning and hedge trimming; only agricultural contract work is taken into account here).
Eurostat, "Manual on the economic accounts for agriculture and forestry EAA/EA 97 (Rev. 1.1)", Luxembourg, 2000