A supermarket is defined as a retail self-service shop selling predominantly food but increasingly non-food products also, with a floor space of:
- Belgium, Denmark, Spain, France, Italy, Luxembourg: 400 to 2 500 m²;
- Germany (generally): 400 to 1 000 m²;
- Greece, Portugal: 200 m² and more;
- Netherlands: average of 300 m²;
- Ireland, United Kingdom: up to 2 323 m² (25 000 sq. feet).
Eurostat, "Retailing in the European Single Market", Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg, 1993