Definition: Total innovation expenditure
Research and development
Total innovation expenditure is composed of different types of expenditure:
- Intramural R&D: research and experimental development carried out within the enterprise.
- Extra-mural R&D: acquisition of R&D services.
- Acquisition of machinery and equipment linked to technological innovations
- Acquisition of other external technology linked to product and process innovations
- Industrial design and other production preparations for technologically new or improved products:
* Industrial design
* Tooling up and industrial engineering
* Production start up
- Training directly linked to technological innovations
- Market introduction of technological innovations.
Statistics on innovation in Europe, Panorama - Eurostat and Enterprise DG - 2000, p. 111