Definition: Wholesale trade
Wholesale trade is a form of trade in which goods are purchased and stored in large quantities and sold, in batches of a designated quantity, to resellers, professional users or groups, but not to final consumers.
This corresponds to the NACE Rev. 1 Division wholesale trade and commission trade, except of motor vehicles and motorcycles. It includes the following Groups:
- wholesale on a fee or contract basis;
- wholesale of agricultural raw materials and live animals;
- wholesale of food, beverages and tobacco;
- wholesale of household goods;
- wholesale of non-agricultural intermediate products, waste and scrap;
- wholesale of machinery, equipment and supplies;
- other wholesale.
Eurostat, "NACE Rev. 1 - Statistical classification of economic activities in the European Community", Office for Official Publications of the European Communities, Luxembourg, 1996