Definition: ICT sector
The list of ICT sector activities was decided on the basis of the following set of principles.
For manufacturing industries, the products of a candidate industry:
- Must be intended to fulfil the function of information processing and communication including transmission and display, or
- Must use electronic processing to detect, measure and/or record physical phenomena or to control a physical process.
For services industries, the products of a candidate industry:
- Must be intended to enable the function of information processing and communication by electronic means. (paragraph 102)
Current (2002) OECD ICT sector definition (based on ISIC Rev. 3.1)
- 3000 Manufacture of office, accounting and computing machinery
- 3130 Manufacture of insulated wire and cable
- 3210 Manufacture of electronic valves and tubes and other electronic components
- 3220 Manufacture of television and radio transmitters and apparatus for line telephony and line telegraphy
- 3230 Manufacture of television and radio receivers, sound or video recording or reproducing apparatus, and associated goods
- 3312 Manufacture of instruments and appliances for measuring, checking, testing, navigating and other purposes, except industrial process control equipment
- 3313 Manufacture of industrial process control equipment
- 5151 Wholesale of computers, computer peripheral equipment and software
- 5152 Wholesale of electronic and telecommunications parts and equipment
- 6420 Telecommunications
- 7123 Renting of office machinery and equipment (including computers)
- 72 Computer and related activities (paragraph 385).
Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), Directorate for Science, Technology and Industry, Working Party on Indicators for the Information Society, "Guide to Measuring the Information Society", Doc. DSTI/ICCP/IIS(2005)6/FINAL, OECD, Paris, 2005