Definition: Railway station
A railway establishment which is either open or not to the public, generally staffed and which is designed fo one or more of the following operations:
- formation, dispatch, reception and temporary stabling of trains
- stabling and marshalling of rolling stock
- boarding and alighting of passengers
- generally, where open to public, providing facilities for the purchase of tickets
- loading and unloading of goods.
International Transport Forum, Eurostat, United Nations Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE), "Illustrated Glossary for Transport Statistics", 4th Edition, Luxembourg 2009